AJ Baker & Sons was established in 1920 operating at that time as a trading company.
In 1931 the business started to evolve and celebrated its first refrigerator sale.
In 1955 we installed our first supermarket and 1973 saw us commence rack construction for a more bespoke design.
In 2003 we expanded into Queensland and cemented our position with major supermarket works for Woolworths, Coles, ALDI and IGA independent chains. The works in Queensland extend all the way from Townsville to the NSW border.
In 2008 we opened our Victorian office, providing our east coast clients a local presence and expanding to full supermarket installation and case supply.
Mid-2009 saw our New South Wales branch open, providing warehousing, case supply and installation services for major retail clients.
November 2013 saw the announcement of the purchase of the South Australian based business Hill Equipment & Refrigeration Pty Ltd (Herco) which allowed the expansion into the defence space.
The acquisition extended the expansion from a sole, Western Australia based refrigeration contracting company to one with a national presence in the capital cities of all five mainland, Australian, states.
Since 2016 we have completed installs at over 100 Coles, Woolworths, ALDI and IGA stores and even the Johnson Casino Group in Noumea (New Caledonia).
In these past 100 years we have achieved many important milestones:
- the first local WA refrigeration manufacturer,
- the first local WA air conditioning manufacturer,
- leaders in rack technology for supermarket applications,
- National importer of Welbilt-Manitowoc ice machines,
- the first major importer of pre-assembled European self-contained refrigeration display cases into Australia,
- the exclusive importer of Bonnet Neve refrigeration cabinets and compressor pack systems for Australia.
Examples of most of these products are on display in our modern showrooms in each state. We also have a large Australia-wide sales network of dealers and sales support of our products.